Sunday, February 27, 2011

You are an instrument to answer prayers!

Once again missionary work has been CRAZY busy and we have been working as hard as we can. The weather here the other day was so beautiful and sunny that the snow melted and no coat required... but that was just for a day or two and then the other night it snowed again. So, the coats came back out of the closet! I am surprised at how often people tell us it's cold out without letting us in, Ha ha! No worries though, I'm sure missionaries don't get as cold as normal people. :) We have one of the greatest wards EVER! They are like family to me and to those around them and I am seeing that more and more! People out here are so busy and they still seem to make time for us!
This is my challenge the week is that those of you out there make time for what is truly important to you. To make time for the people that you love and care about. The might not always be around and often times we don't realize how precious time is. I keep reading in the scriptures about how parents take time to teach their children. (Best exemplified by the 2,000 Stripling warriors...."they doubted not for their mothers knew it") And how husbands and wives love each other and talk with one another even through the hard times. (Adam and Eve, Lehi and Sariah. Zacharias and Elisabeth.....) Look at our modern day leaders. A very powerful couple that comes to mind is Elder Holland and his dear wife Patricia. Their is a great article in the March 2011 Ensign by them about Relief Society. What a great example of how a couple focuses and teaches together.

I have found one of the reasons why the Lord has commanded that we gather together at Church and why it is a commandment. Going to Church together as a family and learning about the church and discussing it through the week truly makes our families more loving and closer together. Along with that is that we are able to uplift other families and individuals that are in need. It is not about the building or the structure.... it is about the people. As we gather together and talk of Jesus Christ and pray together and fast together we are strengthened both spiritually and temporally. "I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.” (Mosiah 4:26.) I cannot tell you how the wards I have been in in the past and how the ward that I am in now have become my family and have strengthened me through hard times. I love them and I know that they love me. Because of the love that I feel at church, I have been able to realize that God loves me and that He is very mindful of my needs. I want to relate a true story I recently heard (first hand) about someone that I care about very much. (Now keep in mind this is not word for word and I hope they don't mind that I share it.)
A young woman and her family were struggling financially to make it. she was the breadwinner of the household and she just could not figure out how she was going to make ends meet. She prayed and did all that she could, but still... there was not enough money. Well, this woman and her family went to church and the Bishop called her into his office. Worried that she might be asked to take on another calling she was nervous.... she couldn't figure out how she would have time for more. She was already too stressed. The Bishop told her "I've had a strong impression that I should call you in and ask how the ward can help you." The woman said "Oh I'll be fine." The Bishop again asked, " How can we help, we would really like to." The woman thought... I need about $200.00, but that is too much to ask. So she replied, "Just pray for me." The Bishop paused for a moment and pondered. After a while he said, "Ok..... but would it be okay if I give you $200.00 as well, just to help out?" The woman began to cry and realized that her Heavenly Father really does hear and answer prayers, and that he had used a very inspired Bishop as an instrument to answer her prayers and to help her through.
Joseph F. Smith said: “Charity, or love, is the greatest principle in existence. If we can lend a helping hand to the oppressed, if we can aid those who are despondent and in sorrow, if we can uplift and ameliorate the condition of mankind, it is our mission to do it, it is an essential part of our religion to do it” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1917, 4). When we feel love for God’s children, we are given opportunities to help them in their journey back to His presence.
I know that part of the reason I want to do what I should is so that I can help the Lord to answer prayers.

I want all of you to know that I love and and I pray for you daily. You are wonderful people and have helped me so much to be the person I am today. I hope you are all doing good and truly know that I love you.

God be with you till we meet again,
Love,
Sister Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment