Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Settling in Washington D.C.


Hello!
Well, it is cold out here in D.C. but no snow on the ground. It is such a beautiful place! There are trees everywhere. Yesterday we arrived just before 9am and were greeted by our Assistants to the President Elder Vea and Elder Faundez. They are kind Elders and very happy. We were also greeted by President Matsumori and his wife. They have the kindest and sweetest souls I think I have ever seen. Their love for us simply emanated from them and I was so grateful to feel that in a sense I was home and to know that there are people here who love me. The temple is majestic! It is surrounded by woods and it is such a place of peace. I had the opportunity to go into the woods and to pray. Such a strong feeling of belonging and being in the right place at the right time --- it is almost undescribable. I love it here! The day seems like such a blur, so much to take in. I love the Matsumoris and their goodness. I had my first interview with President Matsumori and again I have such a feeling of belonging and love. We received some training specific for our mission and to help us to begin our work. One of my favorite lessons learned was that in the scriptures Samuel was a Lamanite but he went out and did the Lord's work and became Samuel the Lamanite. To summarize I felt that it was very powerful to think that I became Sister Gordon a missionary but now I am going out and as I do the Lord's work inviting others to come unto Christ I will become Sister Gordon the Missionary. We also sang our mission song and it is BEAUTIFUL. We shared our testimonies first and it was a wonderful experience of peace and joy and knowledge... and then the song. The spirit was already so strong but during that song it was magnified and let me know that this is meant to be my song. It was such a calming and wonderful feeling.
 
Today I was assigned to a new companion! Sister Clark! She is from Brazil and she is wonderful! When I met her I was so excited and I already know that we are going to get along amazingly! She is quirky and I like that. :) I know that she is going to be a phenomenal trainer. We will be roommates with Hermana Gonzales and Hermana Canizales. I am excited to talk with them and get to know them better. They are beautiful girls with big hearts. (Pictures to come!) I am so excited for my first area! It is a new area and we are opening it! We are doing what is called white washing which just means both Sister Clark and myself are new to the area and nobody knows us yet. Lots of friends to be making! It sounds like a lot of work but you know that I love to be busy! I will also be working at the Visitor's Center. There is a lot going on there right now. We are doing the festival of lights so there will be a lot of visitors and a lot of music and fun and wonderful spiritual goodness! (I wonder if you can look up the festival of lights online to get a better idea?)
 
Mom and Dad it was so good to get to talk to you! I miss you both and love you dearly!  I haven't opened my packages yet, but I will hopefully tonight. Ah, today is p-day and so expect p-day to be on Wednesday. No more of this confusing business of it always changing. Sadly, I won't get to see Sister Liddiard very much because she will be full proselyting for the time being. 
Oh, the place to send mail is 11700 Falls Rd
                                           Potomac, MD 20854-2823
This is where they said to send all of my mail since we move around and are busy so much. Elder and Sister Huffaker will be taking care of anything that is sent to me and making sure it is delivered promptly. (They are one of our Senior couples and they are so outgoing and loving.) That is the great thing that I am already realizing about our mission; it is a place filled with people who love and care and are Christlike. I LOVE IT! And the Christmas season! What a time to remember our Savior and all that He has done and still does for us today. I know that Christ came to this earth to not only die for us but to live for us as well. I know that He lives and because He lives I am.
 
Love you a lot,
             God be with you till we meet again,
                    Love,
                        Sister Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment