Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tribute to White Oaks

I must pay tribute to the White Oak ward for the lessons that I learned there and for the people that I have met. What a wonderful place to have served! I am especially grateful for the teaching opportunities I was able to be a part of. Both young and old, member of the church or not. My time there was simply amazing and enhanced by all who I came into contact with. It was just a phenomenal experience and taught me so much about myself and about others.
The lessons the Lord has to teach us are often not recognized until looking back. I imagine myself my first transfer of the mission and realize how far I have come. I don't really feel that I've changed... I mean, I am still the same person; I'm energetic, I love people, I like new adventures... I just realize that I have greater depth. I guess that is what happens when you do something new that takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you discover what you would do in a new situation. You naturally will grow, especially when it deals with your spiritual nature.
We were on the metro the other day and I overheard a conversation where it sounded interesting and the group of people talked a lot. When they left I just felt such a sense of emptiness... I didn't know who they were. The things they talked about didn't help me to understand their experiences or anything really about them. I was just baffled at how that could be an exciting conversation, or how a friendship could be based off of such superficial things. I was so grateful for a greater understanding of my divine nature as a daughter of God. Knowing that changes everything. and truly understanding that helps me to be a better person. 
I am so excited for General Conference this weekend! There is nothing better than a worldwide meeting that can be watched by everyone at the same time where a prophet and apostles come together to speak to us. AMAZING! Their counsel is priceless and can help anyone of any age, gender, socioeconomic status, etc. What great love the Lord has for us to send us inspired leaders to guide us and to testify of Jesus Christ!
I'm a litte nervous as I take on new responsibilities this transfer. I will be asked to grow and stretch more than I think I even realize. I am memorizing D&C 121:34-46 to help myself remember what I am striving to do. (not that I have the priesthood because I don't) I am striving to lead the way that the Master would. Out of sincere love for those I lead, in an attitude of service, and with the intent to lift, inspire, and bless. It is a big call... but charity never faileth. As long as I'm trying to do what the Lord wants I know it will be alright... so, I'm going to pray. A LOT!

Keep the faith. God is there and He loves you. Do what is right and nothing will ever permanently go wrong. And remember your reaction to small things determines your health in the long run. So when something happens that frustrates you and you feel like you can't handle it just ask yourself, "is this going to give me high blood pressure 20 years from now? And if so is it really worth being mad about?"

No comments:

Post a Comment